One of the latest discoveries related to weight is the hormone leptin, which seems to have an important role in achieving weight loss.
What is leptin?
Leptin derived from the Greek word “Leptos” which means thin. It is a hormone discovered in 1994, also known as OB protein. Leptin is produced by fat cells, adipocytes.
Why is it important leptin for weight loss?
It appears that leptin plays an important role in appetite control.
When the amount of fat stored in cells that informs the hypothalamic leptin inhibiting appetite for indicating that the body has enough food is released.
To curb your appetite would stop eating so much fat would not increase.
Properties of leptin
Leptin can help us lose weight because:
- It helps lose stored fat.
- Regulates appetite.
- Compensates fatty deposits.
- Regulates the contribution of fat to muscle.
- It stimulates the adrenal gland.
- It increases energy and metabolism.
How to know if our leptin levels are low
Some signs that can make us think that our leptin levels are not the most convenient are:
- Peck too.
- We eat late at night.
- We eat so stressed.
- Weight gain around the waist.
- Yo-yo diets.
- Trouble getting the ideal weight.
Leptin and overweight
While it is proven that very low levels of leptin promote obesity and failing to stop eating, it is also true that obese people with very high levels of leptin.
This may indicate that there are people who have developed a kind of resistance to the efficacy of leptin. Today is researching how to make those people again become sensitive to leptin because it would not make sense to give leptin.
How do you take Leptin?
Today is continuing research on the subject and is only available as orally injected since it is very inefficient.
How can we regain a good level of Leptin or getting it again effective?
In the absence of conclusive studies from natural medicine you choose to try to regulate it indirectly:
- Regulating insulin levels: as it is a hormone “lock” that can “reorganize” to other hormones. Eating 4 or 5 times a day, not taking too many carbohydrates, avoid white sugar, etc.
- Reduce our stress level: usually the most effective way to regulate our hormonal system.
- Some natural therapies such as acupuncture and homeopathy help regulate the body.
- The practice of physical exercise, continuously and not strenuous.
In general, these guidelines we have discussed help us regulate our metabolism and certainly Leptin levels. The result is that people feel better and, at the same time lose weight.